Along with my new obsession with diamond painting, I have continued to paint my trove of forgotten D&D miniatures. I broke down and purchased some of the new contrast paints, and I’ve been building up my colors in those as well as the Vallejo Game Color paints.
I have finally said goodbye to my craft paints and moved to solely using paint made for miniature painting. I’m still learning, but I think I’m getting better?
I started off with some small pieces – some familiars from various packages that I found among the pile of forgotten minis.
First up are the eagle and some sort of tree/woodland creature familiars. The tree was super simple – black primer and some brown and green drybrushing. The eagle had to be glued together and then I used some of the contrast paint on the branch he is sitting on and on his beak. He got a coat of brown, then some tan drybrushing and green on the base.
The other familiars are a small fairy and a vulture. The fairy was not fun to paint. It is made of plastic and the sculpt was lacking a lot of detail. However, I powered through and got enough paint on it to call it done. The vulture was another simple and quick job.
After the familiars, I started working on some of the other plastic minis I had. This monk was purchased for a player at my table, but never got used. Not a lot of detail on this one either, but now she is done.
Next I chose a mini I thought I would have more fun painting. It was a Hero Forge purchase for a PC my youngest was playing at the time. Poor Tink sat on the table unpainted for quite a while, then got thrown in a box and forgotten. But the 3D printed minis generally take paint well and have a nice amount of detail.
Again, a simple color scheme, but it did give me a chance to practice painting eyes. Eyes are so hard to paint, especially with my shaky hands, so if they look close to human, I call it a win. 😛
Following Tink I picked another plastic mini. I wanted to play around with the contrast paint and see how it took on the plastic. This mini was supposedly primed, and I wanted to see how the paint performed on it.
The cloak was painted using the contrast paint. It wasn’t horrible, but I have a sneaking suspicion that repeated handling will end up causing the paint to flake off. Lesson learned, and I primed all the rest of the plastic minis I had, even if they said they were pre-primed.
Finally, after struggling with the plastic minis, I chose an old pewter mini to paint next. I primed it white and then used both contrast paint and the Vallejo paint on it. It was such fun to paint this one, as there was a ton of detail.
I have a soft spot for dwarven fighters, and this one is a favorite of all the minis I’ve painted so far. I was able to give his weapon, his armor, and his chainmail all different colors, something I hadn’t been able to do before, because my paint colors were so limited. I love his braided beard and hair – and his bushy eyebrows!
He will certainly get used on our table – if we ever get back to playing face-to-face. In any case, I can mark these all off as ‘done’ and move on to the remaining pieces. I’m currently working on a vampire and another ranger. I’ll post again when I get them finished.