I have spent the last couple of days hurriedly trying to finish up painting my pile of miniatures for Ann’s ‘Paint the crap you already own’ challenge, which ends today.
Sadly, I didn’t make it to all of the minis I had planned to paint, even after I cut out all of the Critical Role KS minis I still have waiting. However, I’m still claiming success, because I managed to paint a whopping 23 miniatures during the challenge. Woohoo! That’s 23 minis that would still be sitting in boxes or drawers waiting to be painted, and they are now DONE.
If you want to see the first batch I posted, you can find it here.
What else did I manage to finish? These two were quick paint jobs, but they still count, darn it!
The stone golem was just a black base coat followed by some shades of grey drybrushing.
The bat swarm was just some grey shades for the headstone and black and brown shades for the swarm itself.
This troll was also easy to paint, since most of him was green skin. His tongue is still too pink – I think it’s a bit jarring, but he’s done, and good enough for table use. Maybe I’ll just make him a variant troll that has some weird disease that turned his tongue pink. 😀
Next up was a set of bandits. Painting people is always harder for me than painting monsters, because you know what people look like. Or should look like. Painting monsters gives you a bit more free rein because they don’t really exist.
The first bandit was definitely a challenge with his eyepatch and overly complicated accoutrements. I persevered, and now he is done.
The second bandit was a bit easier, since most of him was covered by clothing.
After the bandits we have the gnolls – just regular gnolls. 😀
I looked at the back of the package and online to see how others had painted them. I tried the orange stripe of fur on one, but I didn’t like how it turned out, so I skipped that on the second one.
The second one was a bit more complicated with all the bits and bobs on his belt, so it seemed like a good balance to skip the orange. I think the orange made me think of hyenas, and they don’t seem very scary. This guy ↑↑ does.
The last two minis I am pretty chuffed about, I must say. I’m usually very critical of my work, but I think these two turned out really well.
First up is the bugbear.
His open pose made it easier to paint all the details. Painting on his chest would have been near impossible if he had been posed like the big gnoll. He was just fun to paint, and I think he came out great. His weapon is oddly curved because he is plastic, but he is still very menacing.
Finally, the last of the minis I managed to finish. I didn’t have the box for this one anymore, so I had to look him up online to figure what he was and how to paint him. I thought he was a mummy lord, but it turns out he was actually a mummy captain. I saw a really cool paint job online and tried to imitate it – I didn’t manage it exactly, but I’m still really happy with how he came out.
I was hoping to get all the minis finished so that I could put my painting supplies away and work on one of my other projects. However, I think I might actually leave them out for a while. That way I can finish up the last of the plastic minis and maybe even take a crack at some of the CR minis. We shall see. In any event, participating in the challenge was fun and I’m glad I did it. 😀