This is a very simple design, but I wanted to play around with elements that stuck out beyond the previous rings in the design. I think it turned out pretty well.
When I was drawing this mandala, I thought I made it too simple. There weren’t enough layers and the design elements weren’t busy enough to make it a good coloring mandala.
But looking at it now, I think it turned out really well. I like how pieces of each layer layover into the next. And there are a lot of different pieces to color, which I didn’t see at first glance.
The first layer is a bit busy, with all the lines crowding to an almost black ring, but overall I’m happy with the design.
My brain has been getting quite the workout the last few weeks. I’ve been trying to research sales tax laws. The most boring subject. Ever.
I’m planning to do a long post about what I’ve found – maybe all my research will help someone. All I wanted was to open a simple online store and make a few dollars doing something creative. I think the days of doing that are long gone.
In any event, I needed something to take my mind off the depressing subject of taxes. So, I decided to play around again in Procreate and iColorama. I still need to find time to sit down and watch some videos on using iColorama – I know I could be doing so much more with it.
I decided to take Mandala 12 and color it in Procreate. I fiddled around with color choices, but finally ended up with this:
When I drew the mandala, I thought the design was too simple, but I actually like the way it turned out once it was colored in. I wanted a fall color scheme (though in my neck of the woods we’ve apparently skipped fall and gone straight into winter – brr!), so I chose some darker reds and greens and browns.
Although I liked the colors, I decided I wanted more depth – it just looked too flat for me. So I headed over to iColorama and played around with several of the options in the program. After several attempts, here is the final image:
I added a texture and another filter (I don’t remember which one), but I am happy with the result. Now the image looks like an old rug design and it’s got some ‘feel’ to it. The filter actually muted some of the colors, but I think that makes it look better.
After I get a chance to watch some tutorials on iColorama, I can’t wait to try it out using some of the mandalas I’ve drawn for my coloring pages. Adding texture and ‘feel’ like this makes it seem like my designs are coming to life – so exciting!
I’m happy with the way this mandala turned out. I wanted a leaf/floral/nature pattern and I think I incorporated some of those design elements nicely.
This mandala also looks complete, in contrast to some of my other recent mandalas. I might even color this one to see what it looks like. I think some of the design elements get lost in the black and white line version.
This mandala suffers a bit from my short attention span. I did well with the inner layers, but couldn’t decide what to do for the outer layers of the design, so I think it ends up looking incomplete.
I was trying for a Southwest/Nazca/Native American feel, and I think I accomplished that with some of the layers. Even though I don’t love every element of the design, I do feel my skills are getting better.
I wrote before about buying the iColorama app for my iPad. I haven’t had much time to learn its features, but I have spent a few moments here and there mucking about in it.
I know that many people color digitally, so I want to make my coloring mandala designs digitally friendly to appeal to as many customers as possible.
I took one of my Mandala Monday designs and colored it in with my Procreate app.
Here’s what it looks like straight out of Procreate. I just used the color bucket drag-n-drop feature to color in the various pieces. I like the way it turned out, but I wanted to see if I could add to it using the iColorama app.
So I opened the colored mandala in iColorama and then started playing around with various options. I had tried the paper texture previously and liked it, so I started with that.
I really like the paper texture – I can almost feel the ridges of the paper under my fingertips when I look at this image. It still seemed kind of flat, though, so I kept trying other filters and options.
This is what I ended up with:
I wanted to share what filter I used, but I didn’t note it before I saved the image, and now I can’t remember. 😦 Getting older has its downsides. 😛
Even though I can’t remember what filter I used, I’m happy with the final result. The image now pops and the paper texture I used makes it look like a photo of a physical art piece, which is pretty cool.
I’m definitely going to have to carve out some time to watch some tutorials on iColorama, because I think it will be an amazing tool to use with my designs.
I quite like the way this mandala turned out. The repetition of the shapes turned out better than I thought it would.
I’ve been working on some larger mandalas, with an eye towards turning them into a coloring book. Interestingly, as I’ve worked on them, I struggle with them more than the mandalas I was drawing just for my own enjoyment.
So maybe my own enjoyment of the process has an effect on the final product. Something to keep in mind as I go forward.