I am still slowly working my way through all the unpainted miniatures I discovered in the basement. I did visit my local game store and picked up both a painting handle and some of the Citadel contrast paints.
I gotta be honest, so far I don’t like them. They are really runny, like ink, and even with thin coats, it took forever to get full coverage. That said, I was painting on minis that were based black, so I’m going to blame it on that.
I have taken some of the minis and based them with white, so we’ll see how it turns out. I am just playing and experimenting, since most of the minis likely won’t ever see the light of day, honestly. A lot of them were purchased for use as a PC mini, but now that we can either 3D print our own or have them printed via something like Hero Forge, they’ll probably never get used. Maybe I can use them as NPCs. Dunno.
In any event, I finished some of them, so here they are, in no particular order. First up is the battleguard golem. I actually like the way he turned out. The matte spray sealer made a huge difference in how he looked.
Next is a weird doll with a knife, from a package of familiars. She certainly is creepy, I’ll give her that. She was hard to paint, because the model has almost no detail. I wasn’t even sure what she was until I looked up the models online.
The last two are the pirate set. The eyes on these gave me fits, because I have an intermittent hand tremor. I finally gave up on the eyes.
They will only be NPCs, and since I have no idea when, or if, we will return to playing in-person, they’re good enough. There seems to be a fine line for me between not enough detail and too much. The pirate wench was ok. This guy, however, waay too much:
He was fun to paint, but man, my poor old eyes. Also, I can’t seem to find a happy medium when I use the Citadel washes. Everything seems to come out looking muddy or dirty, whether I use a lot or a little. Hopefully I’ll figure it out.
Now that these are done, I can move on to the next pieces. 😀