I’ve had a lot of fun playing around with the Amaziograph app – especially since it’s made for making mandalas. It has a lot more options than Procreate in its radial symmetry, but I just can’t get over the shakiness of the lines.
That’s not Amaziograph’s fault – it’s mine, because I have shaky hands. And, unfortunately, the older I get, the worse the tremors get. With Procreate, I can adjust the line smoothing to account for that – with Amaziograph, I can’t.
So for making my mandalas, I’m going to stick with Procreate. I’ll still use Amaziograph now and then, but it won’t be the go-to tool that I thought it would be when I got it.
I do have my eye on another program I discovered the other day, called iOrnament. I haven’t purchased it yet, but I will in the next week or so. After I’ve had a chance to play around in it, I’ll post something here. It looks a lot like Amaziograph, with the options to do tessellations and such.
I saw a coloring book at the grocery store today titled ‘Kaleidoscope Coloring.’ It was a bunch of animals with zentangle doodles for coloring. Guess I’ll add ‘kaleidoscope’ to my Etsy tags, lol.
As I continue to draw mandalas, I’m still learning what elements lend themselves to coloring and how many details I should put in to make the final product more pleasing to the eye.
I’ve stated before that I suck at picking out color palettes, so I’ve saved lots of them to my iPad. When I get ready to color, I can just swatch the colors from the color palette and everything hangs together.
Coloring in Procreate (and coloring in general) is very calming for me. I can find my zen and just let everything else be while I work. I had fun coloring this mandala, although I wish I had picked a color palette with one or two additional colors. There are enough details that making it all work with my limited palette was a challenge.
I wanted to try working on mandalas in Amaziograph again. It has a lot of options that I just can’t easily replicate in Procreate. So I spent some time fiddling around.
Ok, weird. Not sure why it’s cut off in the image, since it wasn’t that way in the program. But I’ve already deleted the original, so – here it is. 😛
The inner parts are good, if kind of plain. I was playing around with line weights, as you can see. Unfortunately, Amaziograph doesn’t have the line smoothing like Procreate does. So my occasional shakiness is more apparent than I’d like.
Maybe I’ll do some initial designs/drawings in Amaziograph and then push them over into Procreate and make the final images there. That could work.
The last few weeks I’ve spent some time playing around in Procreate and iColorama to digitally color some of my mandalas. Experimenting with the different color palettes in Coolors has been fun, too.
I really like the color palette of this mandala, though I think I should have made the gradient a bit more subtle. The coloring does highlight the design elements of the mandala, which is nice. The technique here is good, but I think I prefer actually coloring in pieces of the design, rather than coloring the lines.
During the holidays, I tried to take advantage of my free time to create and be productive. I made some progress. I wanted to have 10 products ready to go, and so far I’ve gotten 4 of them done. They all have some things I want to tweak, but I’m forcing myself to move on to another item. If I don’t, I’ll spend all my time tweaking instead of working on new things. I can always go back and tweak them later, once I’ve got some spare time.
I’ve also spent time learning. I’ve been playing around with digitally coloring my mandalas, I’ve done some more exploring in iColorama, and this weekend I taught myself how to make my own SVG files to use in my Silhouette Design software.
I’ve added in social media for the business (find me on Pinterest, Ello, Twitter and Ko-Fi) and it is keeping me busy. Not too busy to experiment, though. 😛
I decided to take Mandala 25 and color it digitally. Here’s how it turned out:
Once I was done coloring it, I decided to try out iColorama again. I’ve watched a few videos on how to use and discovered all the amazing presets – something I somehow missed the first few times I used it.
I wanted to add some texture and depth to the image. I shifted the colors a bit, using one of those presets, and I added some texture using a couple of different filters. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out:
It looks like a piece of printed fabric, or perhaps a needlepoint someone stitched. I’ve still got a list of things I want to try out, including using some overlays and filters in Procreate to color in some of the mandalas. But I’m making progress, which is the important thing!