I’m still trying to finish up my batch of forgotten minis. I’m getting close – I think I have maybe 8-10 left? I bought more contrast paints a few months ago and I think I’m getting the hang of using them. At the time, I felt like I bought a lot of brown shades and I wouldn’t use them all, but I have. I haven’t opened everything I bought yet, and some colors seem to work better than others, so we’ll see how the rest do. I did open the contrast yellow and I am much happier with it than the Vallejo yellow I was using previously for hair.
First up is the fighter. He was pretty easy to paint since most of him is armor. However, I did spend some time picking out details on both the armor and shield, just to make him a little more interesting. His hair didn’t turn out great – for some reason my Vallejo black is very runny.
But, he is done and ready to go on the table. After him I turned to an easy job – a pseudodragon or dragon familiar. I decided to paint it metallic blue. I had put off painting it because it was in two parts and superglue is not my friend. 😀
However, I faced my fears (and my possibly stuck together fingers) and finished him.
He’s a bit plain, but he’s done and ready to use should any of my players decide their wizard needs a dragon familiar.
This next one is one of my last couple of plastic minis. The detail seemed nice on the bare mini, but like with the last batch, I wasn’t sure how she would hold up once I started painting.
Again, the eyes are not great, but at least she doesn’t look cross-eyed, so I’m calling that a win. I used some of my contrast browns on her boots and fur cloak, and I love the way they turned out. I probably could have filled in some of the gaps on her with greenstuff, but since I don’t have any and I have no idea how to use it, I just painted her. 🙂
After the dwarf I turned to an older metal mini. He’s a bit weird, because his proportions are off. He’s got a weirdly long torso. Also, because he’s so old, he’s one of the minis that came with a slotted base. So, he got a fancy flocked/tufted base to hide the ugly slot.
I don’t think he turned out too badly, even if he looks a bit weird due to the proportion issue. And for once, I think I applied the wash correctly – or at least I got the look I wanted from it.
This last one is a favorite. I did have to glue on his hand and bow, which was a bit fiddly, but I got it done. I had more green contrast and Vallejo paint to use this time, so I had fun sticking with the typical green/brown ranger color scheme.
That’s it for this batch of painting. I have more already sitting on handles, waiting to be painted. Hopefully they will be a nice change, since a few of them are more monster than PC/NPC types. I might actually get to use my monster red!