Creating Planner Covers

One of the products I plan to offer in my shop is covers for the Happy Planners.  I’ve made several of them now, and I think I finally have the process down pat.

I made one as a test a while ago and have made several tweaks.  The first one seemed a bit flimsy, so I added in cardstock for additional weight, and I changed my laminating sheets to 5 mil rather than 3 mil.

I had already purchased a special punch specifically for use with the Happy Planner disc system.  I experimented on the first one with adding some stickers, and I have some ideas for adding other things to future creations.

With these covers in mind, I went out and purchased some scrapbook papers that I thought would work.  It takes 4 pages of 12X12 scrapbook paper (and 2 pages of regular cardstock)  to make the front and back cover for the classic size Happy Planner.  I think I can get both covers out of only 2 pages of scrapbook paper for the mini Happy Planner.  I need to figure out my cost, and then see how much shipping would be for a cover.

If it ends up being too costly for shipping, I may have to scrap the idea as a product, but I am having fun making them.

I made this cover for myself:

Galaxy Cover 1

When I bought my planner, I couldn’t find a cover that I liked, that spoke to me.  My sister had the same experience, so I’m planning on making her a custom one next.  I love the galaxy/star theme of this paper.  The stars and lines are gold foil, though that’s a bit hard to see in the photo.

The white galaxy paper on the inside covers is from the same theme pack of paper:

Galaxy Cover 3

Now that I’m looking at the photos, I may add a foil 2020 or something to the front cover.  Just something to jazz it up a bit.  All in all, though, I’m much happier with this cover than the one that came with the planner.

Mandala Experiment

I had some time the other day to experiment with digitally coloring some of my mandalas.  I saw this method on a YouTube video.  Using my Procreate app, I made a copy of Mandala 28.

I made a new layer, then placed various rings of color on top of the mandala.  After getting the colors placed, I then used a Gaussian Blur on the layer to make the colors fade easily into one another.

_Mandala_28_Colored_I think it turned out pretty well.  I can see using this as a sticker or decal – on a phone, a laptop, a car window, etc.

I’m still having a lot of fun experimenting with colors, layer styles, filters, and so on, in both Procreate and iColorama.  One of these days I’ll also get around to making some videos of me drawing.  My awesome husband bought me one of those screen protectors for the iPad that makes it sound like you’re drawing on paper, and it’s amazingly soothing.

Maybe I should make an ASMR recording of me scratching away with my Apple pencil. 😛